Friday, July 27, 2007

How quickly it all happens

I was southbound on the freeway this morning when I heard an odd noise.

To my right, a truck was losing its load -- a huge, metal drum-thing.

I don't know how many seconds passed -- maybe just one.

The drum bounced off into the road and across the lanes of traffic towards me.

I had to decide whether to speed up and get past it before it reached my lane or slow down and hope that it might stop bouncing before we met.

I sped up, which was a good thing, because it kept going across my lane and onto the center strip.

Who knows what could have happened? Thank God there was no one in the middle lane -- they would have had no chance to escape.

Life is fragile and can end in a moment.

Please be careful out there people.

8 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

So glad you're ok. You're right - it can all change so fast.

There is a very fine line between living and dying.

Thanks for the reminder, which is always timely.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Hey, good decision. Glad you are Ok. Life is fragile. We need to remember that more than we do.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Heart: I shouldn't even get in a car, as many close scrapes as I've had -- at least four wrecks when I was a kid (my dad driving, not me!); and two minor ones that I caused once I took the wheel.

As well as about three close shaves that were absolutely not my fault -- getting rear-ended by a truck; narrowly missing a hydroplaning van one rainy night; and having to swerve out of the way of some complete idiot who had just caused an accident and was trying to escape before he got caught.

Driving would be a pleasure if IQ tests were required before people got their licenses.

Lone Grey Squirrel: Since your tribe is so vulnerable to the clueless drivers among us as you simply go about your squirrel-business, you surely comprehend the fragility of life.

If there is truly justice in the universe, then people who deliberately run over squirrels must surely be reincarnated as squirrels themselves.

Dawn said...

Wow! Sounds like we both had an active time driving yesterday!

I'm glad that it didn't end up being anything more than a big rush of adrenaline.

Good reflexed ecd!

Amar Mandair said...

Very happy that you're safe, it's those moments that scare me the most when one freak moment can turn a whole world on it's backside. I almost lost my best friend last year when she swerved to avoid hitting a lunatic but her truck ended up flipping front over end 5 times - thankfully she and her 3 year old survived. Life is definitely fragile...

Eastcoastdweller said...

Yes, very fragile and very precious, although that's hard to remember when the flu has hold of you!

Amar Mandair said...

True, I'm feeling the need to chop off my head right now.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Oh, Empress, I hope You will soon feel better! All Your minions are sitting sadly upon the ground, lost without their leader.