Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Whatever floats your boat

Lone Grey Squirrel has been contemplating canals this week, so I thought I'd mention a canaly factoid that I have discovered, too.

The Grand Canal of China is 1000 miles long -- the longest canal in the world. The famous Erie Canal of the U.S. is but a muddy ditch in comparison. The GC runs from Tungchow to Hangchow. Work on it began in 540 BC (!!!) and was completed in 1320 AD. That's 1,860 years!

Of course, these fascinating details were only mentioned in a footnote of the encyclopedia entry on canals, which had almost an entire page devoted to Erie and close to that on the Suez. No wonder China has an inferiority complex!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Eastcoastdweller,
Thought I'd pop over to your blog and see if you have had any luck with Loganberry books. Seems they now "charge" a minimal fee for the search service. But what a cool concept about Stump the Bookseller, yes? You are obviously not alone in having a memory of a book that begs filled.
Isn't Greysquirrel great? What an informative blog.
I haven't had much chance to peruse here, but will.
Leslie, a former eastcoastdweller

Eastcoastdweller said...

Thanks for the comment, Leslie, and for checking out my blog.

I think it will be worth the $2 to find out the answer to that question, and ultimately, to be able to buy that book.

I always prefer to support smaller bookstores like that instead of the chain giants.

It's sad -- the city that I work in no longer has any bookstores at all. The city next to it only has one, a big box chain store. The county that I live in only has a few.

Grey Squirrel is indeed great, and has become a favorite of mine.

Eastcoastdweller said...

BTW, I decided to return the favor and visit Your blog, too, Leslie.

As soon as the registration kicks in, I'll post a comment there, especially on Your post about TJ-- I love that guy, too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for going thru the registration process on my blog. I understand it's like a visit to the dentists. (but you only have to go once:))
I hope Loganberry does the trick for you. They seem like a great bookstore.
The thing on T Jefferson and the mac and cheese is funny! Thanks for the giggle.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Life's too short to miss the chance to coax forth a giggle. (o: