Wednesday, July 25, 2007

In Search of Isis

Dear readers:

I am so excited, so full of joy today that I can barely contain myself. In a small way, I feel as if I have been enlightened – and it is thanks to you!

I began this blog as “thoughts-a-spinning.” I was distracted and diffused, to quote Simon and Garfunkel.

No more. My thoughts are settled, my purpose clear. I know what this blog is meant to be. And it was right in front of me from the beginning, but the more I talked with you readers, the more it began to grow, until now, the clouds have burst and the rain comes down upon thirsty ground.

Let’s start with Isis, the header to my blog. Why am I in search of Her, so to speak?

Isis was a Goddess in the Egyptian pantheon. From the writings that I have quoted, She once stood with Thoth, god of wisdom and together they spread that gift to humanity.

But Isis is now a lost Goddess. Thus She is a symbol of all that has been lost of Woman’s contribution to humanity, of the role that Woman is meant to carry out – all the books burned because Woman wrote them and all the books that Woman was meant to write but which oppression kept bottled up inside of Her. Not just books, but contributions in every field – science, business, too.

Isis and Thoth may be ancient myths but they represent a beautiful ideal, a healthy, productive partnership between men and Women that has for too many centuries been corrupted or wholly lost. Humanity has paid the price.

This blog exists as one small place devoted to changing that.

I believe that this page should have room for the pious, too. Strip away the corruptions and accretions, read the sacred writings for yourselves and you find Woman there as She is meant to be.

In the Jewish Tanakh, wisdom is personified as Woman, and flesh-and-blood Women of Israel led when men faltered. In the Christian New Testament, Jesus the Messiah made of Women his close companions, talked to them, taught them, respected them. To a Woman, He said, “Where are now thine accusers?” and bid Her begin Her life anew. To a Woman, He first revealed His resurrected presence in glory – the very heart of Christianity.

Islam at its inception acknowledged (I do not say “granted,” for human rights are not something that anyone has the authority to give out, they are natural and inalienable) rights of Women that were unprecedented at the time.

When man respects Woman, when he stands beside Her, when he lifts Her up, when he loves Her, never is he more strong, never is he more admirable, never is he more a man.

When man demeans Woman, when he pushes Her down, when he holds Her back, never is he more contemptible, never is he more a filthy, despicable, disgusting wretched animal, a stinking carcass not fit for buzzards and maggots to eat.

So, what is this blog? It will still contain my musings on other subjects but it will earn its keep in the blogworld as a place where I hope that I can collect resources to help Women; where a Woman can visit to be reminded of Her precious Feminine birthright and the beauty and power that EVERY Woman is born with.

It is a place, I hope, that will help, in its own small way to end the flesh cutting, the anorexia, the guilt, the doubt, the victimization and the oppression of Woman in this world.

It is a place where She will be reminded that She is beautiful whether She closes deals on Wall Street or cleans toilets in Calcutta. It is a place where links will be found to others who feel as I do.

It does not matter if She weighs 90 pounds or 200; whether She has large breasts or small breasts or has had a double masectomy. It does not matter if She is 18 or 81.
I am thus ever, in search of Isis.

7 comments:

Chase March said...

I think blogs are best when they show a collection of thoughts and musings. Sure themes are nice but the writer will inevitably have his or her own particular spin on a topic. Yours has always been obvious. I don’t think you need to take this as a new personal mission. You have been doing what you have set out to do.

I know that you have found sites recently that you think are doing a better job than you are. I would suggest that you are wrong. These sites and blogs, in conjunction with your own, are carrying out your message loud and clear. The fact that you link them together and comment on other blogs frequently has gotten your message out loud and clear. Keep doing what you are doing.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Chase, I thank you for your thoughtful words and your vote of confidence.

I think perhaps I am the last person to have realized where this blog of mine was headed.

In my childish scrawl at age 13, in a journal entry, I first attempted to articulate what was burning inside of me even then – a profound love and admiration for Women ,a deep and angry awareness of the injustices suffered by Women, and a vow to do what I could someday to correct them.

Years later, along comes Google bloggerworld and a chance for me to speak my mind more candidly than I ever have been able to before. It’s not like I’m a different person in real life than I am here – I hold open doors, try to be a gentleman, uplift Women whenever the opportunities arise – but extensive conversations about it, just don’t happen. Or haven’t happened. Intensity can scare people. I have a certain employer who calls me by my first name every fourth word or so in conversation, intoning it quite strongly, and it’s a little disconcerting.

So anyway, I started blogging, and then in my course of study, I discover the concept of Isis – perfect symbol of everything I believe in, and She became the headline for my page. Then I discover that a few other men feel as I do – glorious day -- and then, that there are Women likewise enlightened, who are confident and happy with Themselves and in being Women.

And then, it hits me like a lightning bolt – that this blog can be one way, one small way, that I can help to bring together people who are like that and fulfill that vow I made at 13. That in addition to everything else I post on this blog, which I will keep doing, Chase March, I can list resources as they come my way for the specific concerns that Women have. I can step back and let important conversations take place.

Rebecca, a regular here now, is proud of Her glorious, beautiful and sweetly Feminine name and She followed a little suggestion that I made to no longer abbreviate it.

If I can rejoice in something as small as that – and I did, I was happy, so very happy -- I know that I will be ecstatic if through time on this blog or by following up on some link here, some Daughter of the universe is persuaded to stop cutting Her wrists, stop blaming Herself because someone sexually assaulted Her, stop hating Her reflection in the mirror, stop feeling ugly, stop feeling powerless, stop feeling friendless, stop feeling useless, stop feeling stupid, stop feeling that She has to do what others tell Her, stop feeling that She can’t rise to be whatever She wants to be in the universe, stop feeling that She is anything other than beautiful, wonderful and utterly priceless in mind, body and spirit!

Amar Mandair said...

What you're doing is incredible work ECD. To have such focus and dedication is absolutely inspiring, and I'm not just saying that for myself. You may never know the positive influence your writing has had on any woman, for she may have been a one time reader or someone who vists regularly - regardless, your influence is positive and I sincerely wish that your passion continues.

Eastcoastdweller said...

I thank You, Empress, but it's not about me.

Friday I have off from work and I will be able to do some major work to this site.

I would like to at least post links to ten websites or blogs, for starters, that deal responsibly and professionally with specific concerns that Women have -- or that celebrate being a Woman.

Any suggestions are welcome, both of concerns or of sites.

Amar Mandair said...

You're humble. I know what your purpose is and I applaud you for taking it on with as much gusto as you have. More power to you ECD!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Empress, I know that You have struggled for a long time with daily headaches -- awful migraines. A lot of Women do, in greater numbers than men, if I understand correctly.

Has there been anything that has helped, any resource that You might suggest, based on Your experiences? For this and maybe for other persistent health problems that Women face?

I know hypnotherapy has been one way of relieving Your tensions, alhough I don't know if it has relieved Your migraines.

Amar Mandair said...

On a priority I would suggest women have their thyroid levels checked and also have full physicals done. As some women may experience headaches/migraines related to monthly horomone fluctuations it is important to get the thyroid gland tested regularly including checking the dosage of any birth control pill as it may simply be a matter of taking a pill a day/adjusting the dosage to relieve their pain.
For others who experience migraines due to it also being genetic I recommend being perscribed the appropriate type of migraine medication, for example beta blockers may be right for some and not others. There are different types of migraine medications so it is very important to be on the right one, alot of women can't relieve the pain b/c they may be perscribed the incorrect type. Taking the over-the-counter meds is okay for some if it's minor and it helps, others need more intense therapy. Other avenues of pain-relief like accupuncture is also a good idea. Seeing a chiropractor is all what one may need so it is really important to get a full physical done.
My migraines may be related to what showed up on my last CT, not confirmed yet but I do urge women to fight to get a CT/MRI done to rule out any serious factors. I can't stress how important it is to find out the cause first before treating the symptoms b/c taking meds that may not be right for the type of migraine a woman has can do more damage than good (voice of experience).