Monday, July 30, 2007

The addict whines

I survived my first blog-free day, barely.

I am like a wino without his paper-sack libation, a stoner without his bag of weed.

I have realized during this difficult day that there are three kinds of bloggers in the world.

First are sane bloggers, who post regularly and answer comments that come their way but can take it or leave it. They are like social smokers who enjoy the indulgence but are not slaves to it.

Second are oddballs who post a blog for reasons known only to themselves, since they either never respond to comments, have no links to anyone else nor apparent communication with anyone else, have completely disabled the comment option and don't seem to care.

Third are poor fools like me who have sunk hopelessly into blog addiction. We are obvious by our absurdly long link lists, because we can't resist a blog friend. We salivate over comments like a dog over a bone. We punch the refresh button repeatedly hoping that a new one has been enetered since five seconds ago or so.


I see that a whole pile of comments have come in over the course of the day, from Adena, Empress, Leslie and maybe some others. I promise to answer them all tonight, because I appreciate you all taking the time to comment. And I have some blogs to visit, and one or two blog topics that have come to mind as I squirmed and suffered blogless today.

Plus, I owe Empress a smoodle blog and I fear that a month of turtle-watching will be my punishment if I delay.

But first I have to run an errand for a friend. Yes, people, I do have friends beyond this computer screen. And they don't even have to get frisked or adhere to Visiting Hours. Believe it.

7 comments:

Chase March said...

I'm in the addict group too. I don't know if I fit all those warning signs but I try.

If I had a computer at home, I could see myself getting completely sucked into it and blogging constantly. I feel like I need to write an entry every weekday and try to respond to other people’s blogs and comments. Yet, I haven’t really had the time to do much this summer. I rely on the public library and sometimes I get a bit rushed there.

Anonymous said...

You can do that with the "refresh" button?? Really??? OMG...

Seriously, blogs are a gift to writers who hate the whole submissions process. Who wouldn't love this?

Eastcoastdweller said...

Chase: I feel for you, having to fight off the kids and who knows who else for a library computer.

Leslie: What I meant is that I can hit the refresh button on my email and it tells me if someone has added a new comment.

Blogs are indeed a gift to writers and a delicious indulgence.

Dawn said...

I think I'm jealous...

I would certainly be in the addict category if I had the time! As it is, I'm struggling to just get through your friends list. :p

Amar Mandair said...

That hunger to get to the computera nd log on...I feel for ya ECD, not being able to do that during the day when the urge pinches you...

And, thank you for my Smoodle! I kind of feel like that guy from Seinfeld who says "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" but I would say "NO TURTLE WATCHING FOR YOU!"

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

LOL ;-)

Eastcoastdweller said...

May You someday sip from the mystical smoodle bowl Yourself, Empress!