Monday, July 23, 2007

In a dusty city

She tipped a glass of water
Cold, clear water
To her lips
And drank.

She wiped the stray droplets
Like a child from her mouth
With the back of her hand
And he pitied the moisture rubbed away
Envied the draught
that now nourished her within.

She smiled and thanked
Him – just a shopkeeper
He was and she a stranger
A traveler passing
A beautiful traveler bravely alone.

He took back the glass
And kissed to his lips
where hers had just pressed
She smiled softly to see it.

She spoke a strange language
Sweet, soft like a bird’s call
He brought her warm yoghurt
and a dish of couscous
seasoned with lamb

She ate and he knew that
She’d hungered quite long
Like a young lion she devoured it
And licked her fingers when done

He brought in a basin
Warm rose water and cloth
And she protested but a moment
As he undid her sandals
And washed the dust from her feet
And then like a pilgrim he kissed them.

And she saw tears in his eyes
And wondered what brought them
But she felt no fear with him
Nothing but peace.

She awoke hours later
In the dark of his shop
Her hands flew to her robe
Had he – no, certainly not!

But he’d laid her on a heaven-soft rug
Surely a priceless treasure from Persia’s own looms
And drawn over her a piece of the finest of silk
And left her to sleep while he reposed chastely
somewhere else in his place.

14 comments:

Amar Mandair said...

Amazing, that's beautiful.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Thank You, Empress. So are You. (o:

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Wow. That is incredible work.

It was almost intoxicating, I could smell the spiced air, the sweet rose water, feel the glass touching my lips...

Lady, you are very good.


Be back soon,
Scarlett & Viaggiatore


PS - there's one on my page that you might like, it's buried, but sometimes treasures are. It's called 'the song has not remained the same'. I think it just might be something you could connect with.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Thanks, Scarlett, although I must note that I'm a guy, not a Lady. (o:

Eastcoastdweller said...

Unless, of course, we are speaking of the Lady in the verse, who was indeed probably very good.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Blogger is not behaving this morning. I have attempted to correct one important word in this verse: repined should be replaced with reposed. Maybe it will let me fix it this way.

Rebecca said...

I enjoyed that verse, East.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Thanks, Rebecca. (Your lovely name deserves to be spelled out, not abbreviated).

Eastcoastdweller said...

Scarlett:

I read Your post on "the song" and completely agree. Somehow, a song just seems more real and worthwhile coming from the lips of the person who wrote it.

And it is truly sad, for Them and for us, when Women are fooled into thinking that making music is all about how They look, not about talent.

Where will those CDs be ten years from now? And where will the Women be who appeared on them, when Their raw sexiness, in the eyes of the shallow, has gone away?

Reminds me of that old rock song that famously launched MTV, Video Killed the Radio Star.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Thank You, Adena, for Your comment.

I don't know why I wrote this piece. It just started with that first line -- the simple beauty of a Woman quenching Her thirst -- and then it kept on expanding.

Rebecca said...

I think you're right, Eastcoast! Henceforth, my name shall be spelled out :) Thank you for the reminder.

Eastcoastdweller said...

The roots of the Hebrew/Aramaic Rebecca suggest "servant of God," "covenant daughter" and even "captivating."

It is a name rich in historical allusions and pleasant to be spoken.

Rebecca said...

It took me many years to fully appreciate my name. It is big and formal for a little girl, so I was called Becky until I was about 20 or so. I am happy to say, I no longer answer to that. I thought the Hebrew translation was along the lines of bound. I think that bothered me for a while...But I do love how she was found at the well, and wed to Isaac.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Fascinating, isn't it, how one can grow into a name. And how those of us who are blessed enough to have such a formal name can enjoy the diminutive until we are ready for the big one.

Literally, Rebecca does mean "bound" but Hebrew is one of those wonderful languages that does a lot of different things using the same root.

"Binding" in their eyes thus can have a precious, covenant sense, the same way secular patriots prize their citizenship, their "ties" to their country.

Being "bound" to God, as a Nazarite or other vow-taker,was a high honor for an Israelite, not something done lightly nor by just anyone.