Friday, July 27, 2007

Bad for Her, good for me?

I do not need another book in my house.

I have no more room for books in my house. Every room, even the shed outside, even my car, overflows with books I scarcely have time to read.

I brought "Constantine's Sword" with me when I went to get the car's oil changed today, but I only read one page, because I shared the waiting room with a friendly Lady who was watching Emeril Live and who wanted to talk about it. And I like talking to friendly people.

Then, I was in the dollar store when I encountered "The Opposite of Fate, a Book of Musings," by Amy Tan. You know, "Joy Luck Club," etc.

Hardback. Suggested retail $24.95. And I got it for a buck. Which means Ms. Tan probably made little to nothing from this transaction.

Did this book not sell well when it was first published in 2003? Did Her attempt to write an autobiography not measure up to Her works of fiction?

I guess I will find out eventually, if I ever get to read it. I already promised Chase March that I would read a certain book that he recommended. And I really ought to finish Phaedrus and Constantine's Sword and read the National Geographics that are piling up on the floor of my study room.

I shall be an insane old man, unshaven and poorly dressed, clutching a book in my hand and screaming at passers-by: Read, damn you all, read! The end is near!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, sweet fellow wayfarer in Bookland. So many books, so little time...
I asked people to recommend their favorites to me, and wow did I get suggestions...
As for the Audrey Hepburn post, the little delete 'can' does not show up. Google is toying with us...

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Laughed so much at the end there... you wouldn't be yelling to me, I'll be in a swing on my porch, reading and sipping tea.

Isn't National Geo the best? I love it. Working for them will be the pinnacle of my career as a photojournalist someday.

Just wondering, do you like maps?


Scarlett & V.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Oh, I'll be yelling all right, never underestimate the determination of the insane.

"Hey Lady, the British are coming and they'll be a-seizin' Your tea! I'm a-warnin'Ya, if Ya had any sense, Ya'd be in Ya basement, not settin' out here all prissy-like in the broad daylight. Call Norman Rockwell -- he's a-diggin' potatoes out by Harry's barn ..."

Do I love maps? Well, let's see. From where I am sitting in my study room, I can see on my wall a map of ancient Greece, a map of the world and a map of the U.S. showing locations of historic events.

And I've got a well-worn atlas of the US about two feet away, that has travelled with me from coast to coast.

Yes, I like maps.

Photog'ing for NG would be a dream -- except perhaps for the deep jungle assignments. Did you read that piece they put in a few months ago, that poor photog talking about the worms and scars and oozing sores he came home with?