Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Scary Boss Woes Continue

The big chief encountered me at a university meeting today, where I was planning to take some notes and stay a little while -- part of my job, long story.

Boss assumed I was there simply to take a few Public Relations pictures and be on my way.

Therefore, scarcely had I put a cookie on my plate, at the invitation of the event sponsors, when the boss clamped a hand on my shoulder.

"You're not here to eat. You're here to work," he said under his breath.

Sulfur stinking breath of Satan, who does this guy think he is, Lord Chesterfield? And am I his stable boy, not fit to eat a scone with the royalty?

Later he told us all at some other meeting: "The world is very cruel to those who aren't prepared."

Yes, boss, I'm aware of that. But thanks for the reminder.

I'm sorry I haven't visited or commented on many blogs tonight. Just trying to keep my head above water.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was one of those situations that you wish for the clever 'comeback' to slide brilliantly from your tongue.
My snappy comebacks always arrive about 2 weeks later:)
"Hey, a man's gotta eat, right?"
"Gotta keep up my strength..."
"Here. Have a cookie, boss, or are you already sweet enough?"

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Wow! Good choice of words, “Sulfur stinking breath of Satan”. His actions are no way to build moral in the work force. If we were rich, we could just quit jobs where upper management borders on the line of mental abuse brow beatings. However; not being rich and having to work in such an environment only contributes to the high cost of health care toward stomach alignments, chest pain, and other stress induced intruders.

Eastcoastdweller said...

I'm slow on the comeback too, Leslie. Sometimes I daydream about finding some Twilight Zone device with which I can stop time in the middle of a situation long enough to allow my slow brain to come up with a better solution.

Jeane Michelle: Thanks for the compliment. I love coming up with a good insult, especially when it alliterates.