Sunday, August 26, 2007

No frenzy here

Double disappointments yesterday:

I went by Barnes and Noble to search for Plutarch's "Moralia." I wanted a hefty, aesthetically-pleasing version, something with gravitas, not the fifty-year-old, paperback, excerpts-only version that I grabbed from some second-hand sale a decade ago. (I hate excerpt books -- let me choose what parts of a great work I want to read, don't decide for me!)

Of course they didn't have it. Never do. I have to special-order every book that I ever want to read.

Sigh.

On the way out, I saw a stack of CDs by some up-and-coming singer. She titles Herself "A Fine Frenzy." The CDs were complimentary. Since Interview Magazine, according to the CD liner, bills Her music as haunting, I was eager to listen to it.

No dice. Wouldn't play in my CD player. Defective disk. Easy come, easy go, I suppose.

6 comments:

Alexis said...

Ugh, isn't that the worst? I got a Brand New CD a while ago, one that I've waited nearly a year to get, and all the songs are screwy and crap. It ticks me off major.

A Fine Frenzy is good stuff though, if you can get hold of a CD that actually plays.

Open Grove Claudia said...

How disappointing. I read all the time about the plight of the small book store, yet my experience is similar to yours. The people are friendly, but if I'm going to order something, I can do that from the comfort of my computer - right?

Ian Lidster said...

A goal frustrated is a galling thing. Some very interesting musings and I shall come back again. I would also like to list you, if OK.
Also, stole your 'what I have done' and just might use it.
Cheers

Eastcoastdweller said...

Alexis: I respect Your opinion and so I will actually attempt to track down a CD of A Fine Frenzy that actually plays.

Claudia: I'm hoping that after I finishing reading Rome and the Middle Ages, I might actually be able to buy books off the shelf again. When I can, I do try to support small book stores, but these days, they are almost as rare as stagecoach repair shops.

Ian: I'm honored to be listed -- I enjoyed reading your blog today and I'll be a regular there myself from now on.

Since I stole that list idea from Adena, you may steal it from me if you like. How grand of me. Be warned -- She may track you down and beat the crap out of you!

Mermaid Melanie said...

well, i hope you get your "ordered" book quickly.

I guess you weren't meant to hear the music that day. but at least you know about it!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Melanie: Knowing is half the battle. I shall seek out Ms. Frenzy this weekend.