Friday, August 3, 2007

Lassi

In India, they serve a traditional drink called "lassi" to beat the heat.

It is a combination of yoghurt, honey and sometimes salt.

I first tasted it a few years ago at an Indian restaurant here on my east coast. Apparently the salt can be optional, perhaps in deference to Western tastes, but when I try something, I want it to be authentic, and so I had it that way.

Different. Definitely not Yoplait. But good.

Lizzie Collingham begins Her magnificent literary work on Indian cuisine, "Curry, a Tale of Cooks and Conquerors," with a brief ode to lassi:

"Its thick, velvety sweetness was seductive."

She provides a recipe in Her book, but you know as well as I do that not even the best book and the most earnest "cook" can quite replicate a native's culinary touch.

I know of an Indian restaurant or two near where I work. I think that during the remainder of this sticky, icky east coast summer, I shall enjoy a few lassis. Lassis, not Lassies!

7 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Lassi, SPEAK! Good girl.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Susan: Lassi (sic) can't speak. She fell down a well and poor Timmy has gone to find help.

Adena: If they make it around here, I surely will -- or I'll see if I can make it myself.

Dawn said...

That sounds yummy!

I don't know how authentic it is, but I found a place that serves a drink called Thai Tea - also quite yummy!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Dawn: Enjoy. (o:

Amar Mandair said...

MMM...lassi...yummy lassi...sweet or salty, fruity or not fruity...

I do love lassi and yes it is a great way to beat the heat, sometimes I make it just to satisfy a craving.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Well, they have to have it somewhere in my city and tomorrow is Saturday, so I shall seek it out.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Mission accomplished:

On the dilapidated side of town, amongst flea markets and auto repair shops, I found "Taste of India." Not much to see outside but beautiful and classy inside.

Remembering Adena's advice, I asked for a mango lassi.

"It will take a little while," said the proprieter, "because we make it fresh."

We talked for a little while as the refreshment was made and I promised to come back later for dinner.

I wrapped my lips around the plastic straw and slurped up sweet ambrosia.

I may never buy a Frostee/Smoothie/McShake again.