Saturday, August 25, 2007

Dreamin'

"AHHH-hahahahaha."

-- "Windmill, Windmill," Gorillaz.

Last night my dream self drove alone on the outskirts of a huge city, to the edge of a great and terrifying mess of multiple freeway exits. I was lost -- which DOES NOT happen to me in real life. I had a map in the car but instead of consulting said map, I got out of my car and began to walk, apparently in search of someone to ask for directions.

Though moments ago I had been on the edge of a hulking metropolis, now I was in a quiet, leafy suburb. The first building that I saw was an odd little structure, almost overgrown by trees and shrubbery. I could see on its facade the familiar "M" of McDonalds. I could ascertain that there were children inside, which made me very angry, as I somehow realized that this was a sweatshop for child labor in service of McDonalds.

But as I entered, I saw shelves of medicine and personal supplies and realized that this was no sweatshop. It was one of those Ronald McDonald charity house places.

I walked on through without commenting to anyone and out the other door, back up the long hill towards my car. I passed a hickory tree covered with nuts, then another tree loaded with fruit. It took me a second to realize that it was an apple tree.

Set back behind it in the undergrowth was a house. I contemplated knocking on the door and asking permission to eat the apples.

Then I awoke.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were processing information and visual images in that one. I always focus on "what did it make me feel like?" Did I wake up frustrated, angry, sad, happy, confused?
How did you feel in the dream, and once awake?

Eastcoastdweller said...

Leslie: In the dream, I felt first anxious (near that big freeway), then angry (contemplating the sweatshop), then remorseful (at having been angry), then curious (as to what the fruit was), then desirous (of eating the fruit), then shy (about knocking on the door of the tree's keeper.

Ironically, how I felt when I awoke is the one thing that I can't remember!

Anonymous said...

What I have found about my dreaming is that the feelings, not the visual images, reflect specific situations and circumstances in one's present waking life. What has been happening recently for you that embodies these elements? Doesn't have to be all for one situation...someone or something making you angry and anxious? Been curious and desirous, but too shy, and then remorseful? Maybe a lost opportunity? I love how our brain processes stuff.
I tend to get all tied up in the visual, and forget it's really about the emotions.
That will be $90. for the interpetation, please. Pay the cashier... :) :)