Sunday, August 19, 2007

Her Mind ...

This is the second post in a series I envisioned for this blog -- of focusing on and revering each and every aspect of Woman from head to toe; as well as Her other attributes and qualities.

We started with hair. Quite naturally. It's at the top. Beneath these strands of brown, gold, black, red or white lies the greatest -- and most tragically underappreciated -- resource in the universe, the brain (mind) of Woman.

From Sappho to Debbie Gibson, Emily Dickenson to Edna St. Vincent Millay, and Marie Curie to the legions of smart young Female scientists today (and yes, I am thinking of Your great mind, Adena), the genius of Woman is an incontrovertable fact -- and imagine our world today if every Woman ever born had been encouraged, not discouraged, from using Her mind.

Some studies suggest that men and Women compliment each other intellectually -- that the one is strong in the specific areas that the other is weaker. Perhaps.

Other studies assert that Women are simply smarter than men -- that Girls as a whole outperform boys on intelligence tests, and only start to fall back as They get older, specifically because of the poisonous attitudes of our society towards Women who are smart and assertive.

As modern Women become more assertive, less willing to step back and let men do all the thinking, the evidence of Their intelligence becomes as obvious as your nearest college campus, where the number of Women attending is beginning to, and in many cases already has, become greater than that of men.

Ashley Montagu devotes a whole chapter in his classic book, The Natural Superiority of Women, to the amazing Female mind and to scientific evidence for its superiority. Montagu, I would note, was not some lusty bachelor but a happily married man, who said in the dedication of his book:

"To my wife, I owe deepest thanks for being all that a naturally superior person should be."

If Montagu sincerely meant those words, if he listened eagerly to the words of that Woman, with deepest respect and appreciation; if he appreciated Her mind as much as he did Her body; if he showed in deed what he said in words, what a glorious marriage that couple must have had!

12 comments:

Laura Stamps said...

Hi! Thanks for posting on my blog, and I would love for you to link to it. Thanks for asking...I am truly honored by your request. :)

I was thrilled to find the emphasis on your blog with Isis. I am very close to the Egyptian pantheon in this lifetime. My Patron Goddess is Bast. And in my new novel "The Witches of Dixie," one of the Witches has named her cats Horus, Thoth, and Re, since her Patron Goddess is also Eygptian.

Thanks again, and let's keep in touch. I think we have more in common than you might imagine.

Many faery blessings coming to you today!!

molly said...

Unfortunately, as women assert themselves more it seems to be having the effect of emasculating men. More women attend and finish college these days than men, according to articles I've read. Are men now having an identity crisis? I think both can be equally intelligent, some more in one way, some more in others, and a huge area of overlap. It shouldn't be a competition. I still think women, whether they like it or not, are better equipped to do the lion's share of caring for children when they are very small. Which means sacrifices will have to be made, goals put on hold. Not a popular view, even among my own children. Guess we need more unselfishness in the world.

Which is not to say they shouldn't get lots of help from dad. Been there on the whole situation of being so mired in snotty noses and diapers that I was sure my brain was turning to mush.

So what am I trying to say? Not sure! I guess one point I'd make is that after a couple has children, their lives are no longer primarily about them. Now they are responsible for the nurture and care of another human being, no matter if they are geniuses of peasants.

End of pointless, meandering rant. Thought about erasing it all, but then you'd never know that this post got me thinking this way!

Alexis said...

Gosh, girls ARE so much smarter than guys, when they want to be. I remember back when we were all younger, around nine or ten, and a large majority of the smartest kids in my class were girls. And since then, they've all sort of faltered away and now my friend and I are the only "smart" girls left. Not to say that all of them are stupid, they just for some reason don't see the necessity to think for themselves, and find other things more important. It's sad, really.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Molly: I'm glad that You didn't erase Your post, as there is a lot of validity to it. Women and men do need to learn how to succeed together -- and there is too much selfishness in the world today, and it is wreaking havoc upon children.

Alexis: I think Your comments encapsulate the very point of the book that I am reading.

Adena: I suppose I might have to define legions. Speaking globally, there must be at least a million Female scientists -- but You might know better than I do. But if there aren't that many yet, there will be.

Frying pan, nah. I'm sure the Lady had more sophisticated means to ensure that Her husband publicly genuflected to Her. Perhaps an electric dog collar.

Laura: I will link Your blog on Monday evening. Thanks for all Your comments so far.

Rebecca said...

I remember all too well when it was very unpopular to show your cranial assets rather than your glandular assets. And if you were blessed/cursed with above average intelligence and a boyish (read flat chested) figure, man, there was no hope! I can only hope that girls in high school and college have it a little easier 20 years later.

And yes, balance is very important when raising children. My husband and I share it fairly well. I hope our son grows up to have a balanced view of femininity and masculinity. He surely knows none of the women in his life are the retiring type!

Open Grove Claudia said...

I think it's dangerous to look at us vs. them. That's how genocide occurs.

Certainly, brain research shows that male brains and female brains function differently.

I like the male perspective and I like the female perspective. Both are valid, intelligent, but different.

Shrugging. That's what occurs to me.

LayDdee said...

I love this post. Women are superior in so many ways. It's so obvious just in the simple fact of how we vs. men approach relationships.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Great post Mr sweet noble man!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Laura: I shall link Your delightful blog before I lay my head upon my pillow tonight.

I have a little Bast carving on my bookshelf, most appropriately, next to my books on Egypt, which include "The Book of the Dead" and "Hatshepsut," by Evelyn Wells.

She is the Goddess of Joy, as You probably know.

Eastcoastdweller said...

I will answer the rest of these fun comments later tonight. May you all have a great evening.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Molly (continuing from Your first comment): If a monopoly business collapses when a competitor finally breaks its stranglehold, should we condemn the competitor and feel sorry for the struggling monopoly?

If some men cannot compete with Women once the artificial,societal constraints upon Women have been shattered, Women are not to be blamed nor men pitied. Smart men will be better for the challenge; other men should simply have the grace to step aside with a minimum of whining.

And it is not necessarily a matter of men competing solely against Women, but of Women finally gaining access to a playing field upon which men have competed against only each other, for far too long.

You are absolutely right that when it comes to families, Women do have a special, nurturing touch that children need - but there ought to be a husband right beside Her, changing diapers and washing dishes and sharing his positive manly influence.


Rebecca: You and Your husband sound like wonderful parents! I don't know if it's any easier for Girls now than it was 20 years ago -- maybe Alexis can comment on the school situation these days.

Claudia: The murderous campaign of male against Female (in some cases, veritable genocide -- I'm thinking of the infanticide of Chinese Girls even in the present day and the brutal rapes that are part of the Darfur horror) is not a theoretical concept but a sad and disgusting historical fact.

It hasn't been that long since They had about as many rights as a saddle horse, had to battle for any higher education, and had to take Their beatings -- and worse --from Their husbands as a matter of course. If there is an us vs. them mentality in the world, Women didn't invent it!

Laydee: Absolutely right.

Carmen: Thank You.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Adena: You will always be in high demand!