Thursday, August 2, 2007

Library Jackpot

With my five dollar bill in my fist, I pushed through the door of the library tonight and hit the jackpot. Wedged among the worthless romances -- who actually reads those things? -- I found:

The Last Place on Earth, by Roland Huntford --- on Scott and Amundsen's Race to the South Pole.

Remembering CS Lewis -- Recollections of those who knew him.

A Sub Treasury of American Humor, from the 1940s, edited by EB White, the guy who wrote Charlotte's Web.

and Teach Yourself Tagalog.

On a rainy night when I am 167, I shall curl up in a soft chair if my old bones don't snap while doing so, and read these lovely books.

4 comments:

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I've loved the works of CS Lewis, and Elwin Brooks White... for many years now.

Excellent choices.

I awarded you with a thoughtful blogger award on my page... please drop by when you get a chance, and pick it up.


Best,
Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Eastcoastdweller said...

Lovely Scarlett, You caught me shortening Elwin's name, but I should also have noted that Mr. Lewis is Clive Staples on his birth certificate!

Thank You for the award. I'm kind of slow posting all those up - Jeane gave me one two weeks ago that I still haven't acknowledged. Sorry, Jeane!

Rebecca said...

I love Library sales. Oyster Bay used to have great ones. I STILL have unread books from those.

Eastcoastdweller said...

But good books, like other good things, can give pleasure just from being, although eventually they SHOULD be read.