Saturday, September 15, 2007

We all have a home


My home is a sturdy stack of bricks meant to last for decades.

But today, as I sweatily shoved my miserable mower through the mocking stalks of crabgrass, I discovered someone else's home -- a far more frail structure.

The last of the carrots at the edge of the garden -- their roots woody and inedible, their lacy tops still green -- have attracted a family of swallowtail caterpillars. Bright yellow and black, as they creep over the foliage they seem unaware of the coming winter, which will kill their food supply and destroy their adopted home. But their bodies know. Millennia of evolution have prepared them -- they will pupate in the leaf litter while winter does its worst, then unfold into butterflies in the spring.

Yes, I took a picture. I'll post it Monday.

11 comments:

BraveHeart said...

"We all have a home" and "City thoughts" reminded me that yes, we all have a home, but do we feel like at home?

I moved from one place to another, in search, of the illusion-of-the-better-somewhere-else.
Unless one works hard of making the place-right-here-right-now-the-spot-of-a-lifetime, there is no home and never will be.

On the bright side, we all are earthlinks, and expatriation shouldn't make us feel so lonely, as the earth is our home.

Cheers!, Brother.

Thanks for stopping by my paintings.

ps. I really like the self-description of yourself.
Fantastic!, loving life is the best love ever.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Ela, thanks for visiting Isis. You are exactly right.

We do have to enjoy wherever we are, right now -- and I certainly learned that growing up as a military kid.

Every three years or so I had to start over, new place, new friends, new scenery, and it wasn't any use longing for the past.

StayAtHomeKat said...

Great Cat photo!

BraveHeart said...

it is a beauty!

Anonymous said...

That looks like a yellow and green art deco locomotive!
What a great picture.

molly said...

OOhhh! He is gorgeous!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Leslie: Thanks! I had to shut off the mower, retrieve my camera from the car and get down on my hands and knees to take that picture.

Love the locomotive concept!

Molly: It could be a She -- a Lady-cat.

Lance Abel said...

you take (or find) some great pictures! carrots are genius!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Lance: Carrots are genius?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Very nice photo.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Great picture!