Saturday, September 8, 2007

Honoring the life of a luminous Lady -- L'Engle

Isis and F.L.O.W. join -- albeit tardily -- the literary world in mourning the passing of a Titan-ess of literature, Madeleine L'Engle, who died on Thursday, Sept. 6.

Wrote the New York Times:

"Madeleine L’Engle, who in writing more than 60 books, including childhood fables, religious meditations and science fiction, weaved emotional tapestries transcending genre and generation, died Thursday in Connecticut. She was 88."

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/08/books/07cnd-lengle.html?ex=1204776000&en=b8c04cc938dda37f&ei=5087&excamp=OVGNlengle

ECD notes: Ms. L'Engle should be remembered as the rare kind of writer who could get a child to sympathize with mitochondria.

I, like so many other children, read Her books and have never forgotten them.

3 comments:

Open Grove Claudia said...

I loved her. Ever the Meg, her writing gave me hope in some of my darkest days.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I learned about her until my adult years BUT I already made sure my daughter has all of her books, the same ones I already read.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Claudia and Carmen, thank You for both for Your thoughts on this subject.