Saturday, September 15, 2007

Book List continued

LE-02-1295. The Book of the Dead.
Translated by Raymond Faulkner. Acq. Jan. 21, 2006.

This book gives us a window into the religion of ancient Egypt - but how much of one? Can we actually claim to understand what they were thinking, can we in the 21st century actually think to step into their minds and understand how they saw their world, just because our experts can now read the words that they wrote?

I have not read it yet, so I have no review to offer.

Bought it at Barnes and Noble, my favorite chain bookstore.

3 comments:

Laura Stamps said...

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! I just reviewed it on Goodreads.com. Here's what I said about it...

~~~~~~~~~~
Wow...where to begin! This is an awesome book and my favorite translation of this classic. Not only is the translation excellent, but the book itself is a work of art. Every page is illustrated beautifully, as is the jeweled cover. Just gorgeous! My Patron Goddess is Egyptian (Bast), so this book has been very helpful in crafting chants and rituals for my magick.

~~~~~~~~~~~

EDC, you will love this book too. And it is soooo beautiful. :)

Many faery xoxox to you!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Thank You, Laura, especially for sharing that review with us. It is indeed a beautiful translation of that ancient "book."

molly said...

Mine too!Wish we had one here. Saw a National Geographic show on the Book of the Dead recently. Difficult stuff to wrap our western minds around....