Monday, September 3, 2007

About writing a column

Marvelous Molly asked about a comment I made, regarding a weekly column that I write.

It's not a super big deal. Years ago, I was a newspaper reporter for a daily paper that publishes in a city near where I live. I suggested to my then-editor that I might write a column for the paper every week and She tentatively agreed.

And so every week now, for ten years, I have done so, even though I am no longer a reporter. There are weeks when I stare at the blank screen in near panic, thinking I have absolutely nothing to write about, and other weeks when the words flow faster than I can write them.

I have the leeway to write about almost anything I want. I do generally avoid politics.

I would suggest to any of my blog readers who love to write, to consider approaching their local paper, with column samples in hand, and making the pitch to be a local columnist. What makes it really worth it to me, is when something timely occurs, good or bad, and I am right there and able to comment on it for the whole city to read.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you! 10 years! That is major league devotion.
I have always wanted to do a 'cheap eats' column, but we have some well entrenched columnists here.

Open Grove Claudia said...

It has always been a dream of mine. I did a column for a monthly neighborhood thing... I really loved it. Sigh... Maybe I'll get up the courage to try it.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Leslie: I bet You are ten times the better writer than those entrenched columnists. Your day will come -- they have to retire or go on to the Great Beyond someday!

Claudia: Be courageous! What have You got to lose?

StayAtHomeKat said...

Congratulations!

I read a poll once where it was asked "what was the most admirable, desired job to have" and the
#1 listed response was WRITER.

The Pen is indeed mighty :-)

Hope we all inspire you as you do us.

Ian Lidster said...

I wrote a weekly column for nearly 20 years and loved every minute of it. I regarded it as an extension of myself.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Ian. 20 years of anything is amazing. Eastcoastdweller, I may do that 'cheap eats' column, just because. Then I'll never have to worry when my husband asks what's for dinner. I'll say research :)
My blog is my column, presently.

StayAtHomeKat said...

exactly Leslie.

those of us that love words and writing have to blog
and have to find blogs by others that we can enjoy.

I do...even if I have dry spells and all that I post are remarks/observations/news by others....

Eastcoastdweller said...

Kat: Oh, You all certainly do inspire me, You do!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Ian: 20 years -- that's a labor of love. Where does the time go?

Leslie: I'd be thrilled to hear that You got that column going.