Thursday, September 13, 2007

ECD's morning

6 a.m.: Awakened by Sweetie from a pleasant dream. Resist being annoyed since She is nice to wake up to. Tell Her how beautiful She is. Receive the usual Womanly statement of disbelief.

Wait my turn for the bathroom.

Check the blogosphere for new comments and blog buddies I have neglected.

Vote for Number 4 on that Today Show Throws a Wedding thing, at Sweetie's behest from the bathroom.

Remember almost too late that a load of dark clothes is sitting in the washer from last night and needs to be dried unless I want to go to work in my underwear.

Curse the clock.

Shower. Shave. Bleed. Contemplate growing a neck beard like some doughty old pioneer patriarch.

Curse the clock again.

Indulge in a bowl of oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon and honey, even though I don't have time for it.

Curse the clock again.

Make the bed. Hang up the clothes from the dryer. Increase level of mental loathing for the person who invented clocks.

Scrounge the kitchen for lunchable items. Resort to a frozen burrito and a plum.

Curse the clock again.

Measure out medicine for the cockatiel.

Remember that what's left of the garden will probably be dead when I get home if I don't run the hose on it for a minute. Invent new swear words for the person who invented clocks.

Kiss Sweetie goodbye. Accept good-naturedly Her demand that I drive the speed limit.

Run out the door barefoot trying to remember my sad excuse for a lunch, my wallet, pocket junk and to turn off the water.

Wedge my knees into my tiny car. Change the station from the mush-rock that Sweetie loves to my favorite hard rock channel. Be annoyed by the screechy DJ that lives in the radio in the morning. Contemplate how much later I'd be if I went back inside for my Metallica CD.

Drive away. Pound the horn at some fool whipping out of a gas station into my lane without any attempt to look where he is going. Realize that it is a She. Feel bad. Then remember that sometimes, Tough Love is necessary and that perhaps I saved Her from doing the same thing again some future day and getting smashed up.

Slow down by the field where the cop always hides. Merge onto the Interstate.

Point my hood ornament towards work for another day.

15 comments:

Chase March said...

That was much more exciting than my morning. You have a knack for telling stories. That was a great read.

LayDdee said...

Wow! Happy Thursday!

StayAtHomeKat said...

You have a thrilling exciting life! and I hope your Cockatiel gets better!

Amar Mandair said...

Hope the rest of your day has gone by much better! And next time...throw the damn clock at the wall!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

That's pretty much what I did this morning... except for the garden bit, and the bird, of course.

Wow... busy start!
Is there such a thing as a relaxed beginning?

hee hee...

Scarlett & V.

Rebecca said...

What a morning! I love your continued cursing of the clock. Would have been fun to hear the new and novel curses you came up with :)

At our house this morning, the alarm went off at 6am, dragging me up from the deepest levels of sleep. I actually had to think for a few seconds to figure out what day it was, and did I really have to get up. Oh. Thursday. K. Hit the snooze button. Got up at 6:20 and showered. My husband made a yummy yogurt, fruit and granola parfait for breakfast.

My husband and son had to leave the house extra early today as the Green Machine got pretty banged up yesterday!

And Amarpreet, I have thrown the clock against the wall. Had to buy a new one on the way home from work that day :(

Amar Mandair said...

Myself as well Rebecca! It's just one of those things we can never escape but the thrill of seeing that thing break apart when you have one of these mornings is awesome...and then of course retail therapy when you get to go shopping!

Rebecca said...

Amarpreet, I agree. It was absolutely cathartic to hurl the old fashioned ringer across the room! And such fun to go go Conran's (a store that no longer exists on the upper west side of Manhattan) to replace it :) I have since curbed impulse to intentionally break things into a million smithereens.

Gonna go visit your world, if you don't mind.

Alexis said...

Aha, that was fun to read. My mornings are much less eventful, I spend most of the time griping about how tired I am and taking way too long to get ready because I'm stumbling around half-asleep.

Anonymous said...

My friend had a cockatiel named...Cockatiel Dundee.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Chase: As a teacher, I'm sure your mornings get exciting the minute you set foot in your building.

Laydee: I'm happy that Friday is only a few hours away.

Kat: It's a chronic condition -- she feather-picks so we give her vitamin A.

Empress: The day that I retire, I am going to toss my alarm clock into the driveway and slowly run it over and watch it die.

Scarlett: Relaxed only happens on weekends -- and that rarely. Lawn grass and laundry has no sympathy.

Rebecca: I read Your car story and I sympathize. What an awful week!

Alexis: I spend the whole day grumbling (to myself, generally) about how tired I am.

Leslie, "Gday, mate!"

Laura Stamps said...

That was fantastic! Thanks for giving me such a big smile. You are the BEST!!

Much faery love to you!

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Amar Mandair said...

Don't forget to take pictures and post them on your blog! You do great work on here so I have no doubts your blog will last.

Cheers

molly said...

You need to get up earlier! And I'm with Sweetie on the "no speeding" thing. Nothing like a convert.....

Lance Abel said...

we've one thing in common on our daily routines --- CURSE THAT CLOCK!!!