Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Welcome, Ian!

I haven't linked anyone in a while. Just been too busy. But Ian of "Or So I Thought" has visited here several times now, and I love his witty blog and so it is high time to make the connection.

Just an aside: I grew up thinking that name was pronounced Ee-yan. Even today, I have to catch myself and remember that the I in this case is pronounced "sh." Such were the pitfalls of an avid youthful reader, whose first encounter with many words was on the printed page, not in my ears. I pronounced all sorts of words the way that seemed logical to me, until I actually heard them spoken for the first time.

5 comments:

PixieDust said...

I so relate to being introduced to many written words before ever hearing them or being able to make the connection.

You should have heard the way I mangled Hor'dourves in 3rd grade - blah!

I'll need to go visit Ian. Thanks!

:-)

Chase March said...

Try roll call on the first day of school. I often have made mistakes pronouncing childrens' names.

I have also found out when a book is turned into a movie that I have mangled the character names.

I don't think you are alone on this one, ECD!

Ian Lidster said...

Thank you for your kind words, and thanks for linking me. Oh, and by the way, it is pronounced Ee-yan. You were right the first time.

Eastcoastdweller said...

You've got to be kidding! It can actually be either way?

So which is the authentic Gaelic original?

Eastcoastdweller said...

I went to this website

http://medievalscotland.org/problem/names/iain.shtml

and answered my own question.

It doesn't ever look as if it should be pronounced like Sean. Who the heck steered me wrong?