Saturday, October 27, 2007

Return from oblivion Part II

I finally got to escape into the woods today -- I have been craving this hike for weeks.

I checked the holly by the wood's edge for berries -- I'm trying to see if its a boy or a Girl tree. Then visited the log where I found oyster mushrooms a few weeks ago. Nothing on it but slime.

No flowers in bloom, not even any asters. The forest is closing up shop for the season.

Every year I check the little fringe tree on the slope by the creek to see if it will finally produce the blue berries that it's supposed to. Still none.

Something hard beneath my shoe, upon examination, looked an awful lot like a hickory nut so I searched around and finally had my first glimpse of a mature hickory tree -- all I've seen in this woods before were saplings.

Tried to get a picture of a little orange spider who posed very patiently for Her portrait but my camera wouldn't focus.

Tonight I made friends with tamarind. I've enjoyed the juice before but never tried it any other way. Found a Balinese recipe for marinating chicken in tamarind sauce. Thought I would try it out.

Finding tamarind was tougher than I thought. My neighborhood redneck grocery of course didn't have it -- but neither did the fancy grocery store up by the mall. So I went to the Asian grocery a few miles away.

"Tamarind?" I asked, not sure how much English they would understand.

"Fruit? Or candy?" the Lady asked. By fruit She meant a big dark block of compressed tamarind. That looked fine so I happily carried it home and went to work in the kitchen. You mix it with boiling water, crushed garlic, pepper, coriander and salt. Marinate the chicken in it for an hour, then deep fry.

Sweetie won't normally eat a whole chicken breast, not being a glutton like I am. But She ate every bite on Her plate this time and licked the bones. I think She now likes tamarind chicken, too. It was good with a scoop of garam masala seasoned rice and some spiced banana bread for dessert.

A good meal took the bitter edge off the news this weekend that we have to replace the whole damn furnace. Probably have to take out an equity line to pay for it.

4 comments:

StayAtHomeKat said...

but you need to stay warm. and keep your sweetie warm.

I went with a whole new system when I had to get new A/C... I figured the furnace would go next so go ahead and junk it now... I am hoping that for the first time since I have lived here that the master bedroom will now get heat... that is why i speak of reclaiming the bathroom... that part of the house went virtually unused.

the warmth you will feel and the security of no breakdowns will be good... and you will get energy savings on a newer system... and a tax break I hope.
good luck...

Eastcoastdweller said...

A tax break? Wow -- I hadn't thought of that. Maybe there is a silver lining to this cloud.


Kat -- how much heat does a person need in Georgia?

StayAtHomeKat said...

!we get as cold as do you!

Mermaid Melanie said...

yummy. make me some!

sorry about the furnace.