Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A happy evening

I called Sweetie on the way home last night. Told Her that I needed to stop by the grocery for some butter and salad dressing. Having been cooped up in the house all day, She seized the chance for some fresh air and asked me to come home first and to bring Her along, even though it had been drizzling and was a wet, cold day.

My mental wheels began to turn. My Sweetie deserves more than a jaunt to the grocery store, even if it is just a Tuesday night. So I came home, loaded Her into the car and we drove. She was talking on the cell phone to someone, so She didn't notice at first that we had entered the freeway.

Then She looked up and began to protest. We don't have the money to do whatever you're planning. Etc., etc.

I drove on. Took Her to Her favorite restaurant, Cracker Barrel. Enjoyed a wonderful hour talking with Her without phones or tv to distract. Then we wandered the country store part of the restaurant and She saw some cutesy things that She liked and fretted that we didn't any money to buy them right now.

She looked at me finally with those beautiful brown eyes of Hers. "Can we take a little out of savings?"

Of course we could.

I had a wonderful time with my best friend last night, I truly did. I am a happy man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sweetheart! What a lovely thing to do!
Now that is a Christmas/Valentine/Birthday all in one!

Janice Thomson said...

What a neat thing to do ECD and I'll bet your sweetie just loved it.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Thank You all. We had a good time. She does things like that for me, too, quite often. Makes for a happy life.