Monday, June 25, 2007

The wisdom of some old Roman dude


"Vulpis ad personam tragicam"


Personam tragicam forte vulpes viderat:


"O quanta species inquit cerebrum non habet." -- Phaedrus


No, I don't understand the Latin without a handy translation to guide me. But I like the look and the sound of it. And the sentiment is classic. Here it is in English:


The Fox Before the Tragic Actor's Mask


A fox, after looking by chance at a tragic actor's mask, remarked: "O what a majestic face is here, but it has no brains!"

2 comments:

Amar Mandair said...

I love that!

Mara said...

speaking of Latin, try this site, it is very funny, Latin sayings one can use at practically any occasion:)
http://www.yuni.com/library/latin_7.html
like: Te capiam, cunicule sceleste! - I'll get you, you wascally wabbit! hehe