Friday, June 15, 2007

It must have been the Chinese take out

I had a repeat nightmare last night -- the one where I step outside to see someone destroying the forest behind my home. I've had it three times now. Each time, the details are slightly different.

This time, the developers had also torn down my neighbor's house -- who knows what they did with him.

Some piggish looking guy was supervising the destruction and I stood in front of him and said, "You don't know how badly I want to hit you right now." He just sneered, because he knew the threat of a lawsuit would prevent me.

So I ran around pulling their plugs (?), locking the door to their construction office and generally fuming in rage.

I don't know why I keep having this dream, since this precious slice of woodland is pretty well protected by its steep topography and its proximity to a creek.

It's probably a combination of the Chinese takeout I had last night and the report I read that says my region is expected to "grow" more in the next 40 years than it has in the last 400.

Ultimately, the developers -- as much as I hate them as mindless agents of destruction, clueless bastards who care only about money -- aren't to blame. They are just filling a need. If nobody bought all their stupid, soulless, artificially sodded homes, they'd stop building them.

I've been coast to coast, in Washington, Nevada, Utah and all over the east and its the same story -- houses going up by the millions, everywhere you look, obviously based on the fact that people will soon be buying them.

Where are all these people coming from? Is there some huge baby boom going on that I haven't heard about?

2 comments:

Amar Mandair said...

I can relate...where I live green space is at a minimal, more housing is going up (except for the homeless) - and it's even going up in places where any sane person would think that there wasn't space for it!

Oh, chinese would do that to you...voice of experience as well - freaky nightmares!

Eastcoastdweller said...

I think developers pride themselves on being able to build something on any size or shape lot, no matter how steep or swampy.

The ancient topography gets erased forever; the wildlife is banished or buried; the flora is bulldozed and burned away -- and you're right, most of the time it's for pretentious McMansions, not homes that average people can afford.