Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Same gender attraction

Perhaps this shall be my most controversial post ever. But it’s time for it.

I visited a blog today that is authored by an ordinary, everyday person who happens to be a lesbian as well.

In my own thinking on the subject of human relationships, I began my adult life with the typical naïve disgust towards persons with same-sex attraction that is to be expected from the religious background of my raising. I never, however, countenanced any violence towards them and as I matured, became willing to publicly state that no one should be denied employment or housing based on their sexual orientation.

Now, in my heart I can see no reason, can construct no logical premise, why two people of the same gender should not be allowed to love and be with each other – whether they are two men or two women. The religions that deny this, have only “Because God said so” to fall back upon.

Should they be able to adopt children? Why not? Would languishing in an orphanage be preferable? Does placement with a male-female couple better any odds that the child will not be abused?

However, the one thing, the one thing that still bothers me, is the attitude of some (some, not all) homosexuals – and perhaps it can be explained as the same human reaction as members of other marginalized groups exhibit.

For example, to have coined their own insult for “straights,” as “breeders.” I have heard, and for all I know he could be lying through his teeth, one San Francisco-based commentator, claim to have experienced this and other types of “reverse discrimination” in that city, by its gay population.
If this is true, I would suggest that it does far more harm than good. It is stooping to the level of those who do the same to you.

7 comments:

LG said...

This is just my opinion ... but I've found that most groups who have experienced discrimination also jump at the chance to discriminate. It's just a shift in perceived power. I'm lesbian, but I think the "breeders" terminology is just as narrow-minded as homophobia. I know it's idealistic, but I still don't see why people can't get along with each other better than they do. I don't think we're all so different from one another.

Wow, that was deep. I usually aim to be much more shallow than that.

Amar Mandair said...

I agree with lg, those who have been discriminated against also discriminate against others, I've heard it being referred to as "revenge".

Maybe I'm secretly naive or just wise beyond my years and future generations to come (lol) but I simply cannot see why it is a big deal that a man can love a man and a woman can love a woman...really, so what? Just because some old dead people eons ago wrote that family is based on one man, one woman and countless children - it shouldn't reflect upon how our world works today. Ignorance is not bliss, it'll get you killed.
Whenever our leaders debate on same sex marraige and without hestitaion and surprise the ignorant get vocal about it, I only ask one question, "How does their union affect you personally?" I have yet to find one person who has a legitimate answer to that. At the temple my mother goes to there was a petition going around with people almost literally forcing people to sign saying same sex marriage was wrong, when it came to me I tore it up and asked my family members that same question. They couldn't answer so didn't sign.
I say let it go people, it's not an issue being gay or being a lesbian or anything else. I really believe people just go on living their own lives, don't disrupt anyone else and don't make anyone's life miserable being cruel to them...it's pointless.

Eastcoastdweller said...

You make two valid points: 1) that most groups who have experienced discrimination jump at their own chance to discriminate and 2) that we're not all so different from one another.

The latter actually helps explain the former.

I.e., that we humans, whether black or white, gay or straight, Birch Society member or fanatical communist are not so very different and that, unfortunately, includes our flaws.

Thanks for your comment. Welcome to my blog.

LG said...

I dig it, man - dig it.

I wish more individuals thought like you two ... I know I am naive because I don't understand why someone who doesn't even know anything about me can hate me for the one thing they do know.

Eastcoastdweller said...

The instance where I heard about it -- and again, it may be entirely untrustworthy -- was made out by the commentator to be entirely serious, accompanied by trying to push the "straight" guy and his son into the street.

As for children, they do need the influence of both genders in their life, but loving adoptive same-sex parents can make that happen with a little creativity.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I don't care whether someone's love "object" is male, female, or Boston Fern, but feel sorry for those who cannot love at all.

I have never heard the term "breeders," but since I have three children, it would be difficult to consider it entirely pejorative.

When the religious loonies cite "God's Law" as their justification for vilifying gays, I remind them that God made everyone the way She wanted them to be.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Whoa, Adena, I wasn't suggesting a drag party!

I just meant that an uncle or a male friend, or an aunt or a Female friend, could be invited to be a mentor to the child.