Monday, June 18, 2007

Personal Punctuation

As I am growing more comfortable with this blog, I am releasing some of my inhibitions. I have that right.

When I began my personal journal back in 1986, I happily capitalized every Feminine pronoun that I wrote, my intimate way of paying homage to Womankind, whose centrality and superiority I recognized even then. I have finally decided to do that in my blog, too, annoying as it may be to some of my readers.

My Female readers may find it a little disconcerting to be addressed as "You" instead of "you," but I hope They will understand. I might suggest that They simply enjoy the compliment.

I am who I am and I make no apologies for my idiosyncracies, just my flaws.

1 comment:

Chase March said...

Your use of feminine pronouns can, at times, be a little jarring. When I read it, I sometimes stress it in a way that does not flatter your subject.

Sometimes when you use capitalization like that I read it that the woman in question is acting superior in some way. I know that that is not the message you are trying to convey. It is a good message but I think it may get lost from time to time in your work.

It is interesting to note that I actually did use capitalization like that in my verse novel After the Fact. The unnamed female character is referred to throughout the novel as She. I think it works this way because it serves as her name.