Friday, December 5, 2008

In Praise of Olive Garden



Rolling back to work from paying a lunch-time bill, worrying about the squealy fanbelt and whether or not the district Christmas Party next week will be a logistical success or a horror fest, I caught sight of the Olive Garden Restaurant in town and remembered a warm summer afternoon spent there with friends.

What is with the snootie people who refuse to grant that place the status of a real Italian restaurant? What is it with the foodies who poke fun at it in their fancy magazines? Olive Garden sends its culinary staff for training to Italy, for crying out loud (sorry, Chase)-- which may be more than some poseur pricy places can say.

Only a redneck yokel would confuse their menu with real Italian food, the snobs say, a beer-belly redneck that couldn't tell you the difference between burned biscotti and Brussels sprouts.

Well, reckon I done mewtated into one o' them there yokelly-types then, because I enjoy a meal at Olive Garden now and then. I also appreciate the prices. Maybe that's what annoys the snooty folks. Can't stand to see the kind of people who have to keep driving on a squealy fanbelt until payday enjoying the privilege of fine cuisine, Olive Garden style.

4 comments:

Misfit in Paradise said...

Must be I am a redneck too cuz' I am an Olive Garden fan.

Janice Thomson said...

I'm a fan too - there's one in Victoria on Vancouver Island where I live.

Maria said...

I like their breadsticks, soup, and salad dinner....

Eastcoastdweller said...

So we are all agreed:

Olive Garden is a great restaurant and people who mock it are snobby losers who get their endorphin rushes from paying too much at eateries with fancy names.