Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Birthday week


Thirty-some years ago this week, I screamed and kicked my way into the world.

I like being alive, most of the time. Days of flu and dealing with consequences of my personal stupidity cause me to reconsider albeit briefly.

I like the taste of hot sauce, marshmallows, shrimp, pasta, pork, lemon, chocolate and pizza (not in the same mouthful). I like the sight of Woman from head to toe, or of a wide green valley or a desert vista; the smell of pines in the sun or rain on a hot, dusty day or of bread baking; the sound of Bach or Korn or children laughing or Women singing; the feel of soft cotton or warm skin or milkweed fluff in my hands.

I like Saturdays, creative but well-behaved children, old musty books and fresh, crisp books, the smell of coffee and pipe tobacco, cold mountain streams and warm tropical seas, old trees and little seedlings.

I like space and comets and the contemplation of DNA and atomic theory.

I like warm, spring soil and cold, fresh snow.

I like great old church hymns and simple, pretty melodies.

I like hard, sweaty work and I like the feeling when it is all done and I am tired and able to sink into a warm bath and clean up.

I like flowers and fish, hedgehogs and lemurs.

I like allspice, vanilla, anise and mint.

I like unspoiled wilderness and the magic of cities.

I like being alive.

Happy birthday to me. Thanks Dad and especially Mom, for making it so.

I will celebrate with dinner at a Turkish restaurant. Can't wait.

8 comments:

Lizza said...

Happy, happy birthday week!

Your list of likes is wonderful, indeed.

May you have many more birthdays to come.

StayAtHomeKat said...

I like YOU!


Happy Happy Birthday!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Lizza:

I do hope that fate won't cut my string anytime soon -- but when that day does come, I am very curious and not at all afraid to see what is on the other side.

Kat: You are a Georgia peach for sure!

BraveHeart said...

Happy Birthday ECD.
May your life be full of happiness and the world be kind and peaceful

Chase March said...

Happy Birthday ECD.

I hope you have a great year ahead of you and wish you all the best.

Chase!

molly said...

Happy birthday ECD! My middle son is the same age as you! I could be your mom! I think she did a great job. You like so many of the things that, to me too, make being alive worthwhile. You should do that "Where I'm From" essay that was doing the rounds a while back. You've got all the raw material right in this post [although I realize there's probably a lot more!] You can check out others' essays, as when someone I "know" in blogland does it, I add it to my "Where We're From" link on my sidebar. Do it! You know you want to! And I'd love to read it..

Eastcoastdweller said...

Ela:

May peace someday rule, from the valleys of Afghanistan to the streets of Pyongyang -- but a peace of freedom, not the desolation of a new Pax Romana.

Chase: Thank you!

Molly: My Mom is the world's best. Beautiful, brave, smart and strong, a tribute to all Womankind. I remember Her rushing outside one day when I was a little kid, grabbing a puny bamboo stick for a weapon, the first thing that She could find,when a large, strange dog was scaring me.

I may take You up on that "Where you are from" thing.

Amar Mandair said...

Happy Belated Birthday ECD!!!