Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy news

I was about ready to give up on my plan for a special Christmas present for my third grade "lunch buddy" this week.

I had wanted to take him to the local high school to shoot hoops with one of our high school basketball players. As usual, I could not get his mother to return any phone calls to give permission or to transport him there.

So I called Coach G. today with the bad news.

Coach G. wasn't taking no for an answer. If little B. couldn't be brought to the high school, he told me, then Coach G. would bring the high school -- or at least one star player -- to him.

It's happening this Friday. I am so excited. I think this star player could help little B. to think about what he needs to do to improve his behavior and to value his education.

3 comments:

Chase March said...

That is good news. This kid is lucky to have you in his life. The high school coach is a great guy to set this thing up too. Kudos to you both!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Thank you, Chase.

And thank you for stopping by. This blog was starting to feel a little lonely this week.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Well, it all worked out. The high school sent over its nearly 7 foot tall center star player and little B was thrilled.

They shot hoops for a good 20 minutes or so.

I learned that the athlete took time to come over to meet B. even though he has an away-game tonight. And he brought a basketball and a jersey which he signed for B.

What a great day.