Thursday, April 5, 2007

Toes upon the grass


With spring's arrival and the warmth of the ground where concrete has not yet smothered it, comes an interesting dillema: to bare or not to bare?


I'm speaking of feet, not nudity.


I love going barefoot and I kick off my shoes the minute I step out of my car at the end of the day.


Of course, that means that I've stepped on a few nails and a bee or two, which earns me no sympathy from my shoe-bound relatives.


The advertising circulars at this time of year depict lovely women and handsome men in the latest pastels and snow white outfits; and sunshiney, wholesome children dressed so adorably that one just can't help but smile and believe that innocence can't be dead quite yet. Little princesses in prim, white shoes stand upon perfect grass that does not in the least look anything like the weedpatch around my house.


But are these Easter-adorned little people actually being repressed? Should their young feet be free in these giddy, mild days of spring, to scamper unshod upon the sod? Check out this website: www.unshod.org, for a group of people that certainly feels that way.


By the way, if shoes we grown-ups must wear in going about our daily drudgery, I lend my full support to anything open-toed, at least for the ladies. Wiggle your little piggies and let them enjoy the sunshine.

1 comment:

Lance Abel said...

Parents are taking the easier path.
Letting kids walk around barefoot in the garden would mean more dirt in the house, more spider bites, more girls screaming when their foot touches a slimy worm etc.
All that stuff would be pretty annoying.
Plus, it would slightly reduce advertising revenue and brand value.