Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Strange photo of the day




Yet another dreary site detailing the supposed horrors of environmental tobacco smoke.


Yes, I know that if you are a waiter/waitress working daily in a bar so thick with smoke that you need night vision goggles to see across the floor, you could have problems after a while. But then again, people have bitten the dust drinking too much water. Stop sipping while you still have time!


But if ETS was such a horrific and potent killer, if it was really the twin brother to sarin gas or cyanide, it seems like most of the developed world, which was a smoker's paradise until about 20 years ago would be a ghost town by now, littered with the corpses of pedestrians felled by a passing whiff.


But I thought this site was interesting just for its choice of graphics and lead.


"She may look trendy in her little black dress but there's nothing "in style" about her cigarette smoke."


Folks, we have a scheming killer on the loose at this hypothetical party. In her trendy little black dress, gun -- er, cigarette holder -- in hand, she walzes around maniacally laying waste to anyone foolish enough to catch even a wisp of her secondhand death-fumes. You might knock .0000000001 percent of a second off your life if you dare step within breathing range. Better to hiss and spurn her, that beautiful she-beast with the deadly habit.


Ick, what a way to think and live.

5 comments:

Eastcoastdweller said...

Strangest conversation I probably ever had:

I take my seat on a bench outside a grocery store, on a pleasant spring day, many years ago. A woman is quietly smoking nearby.

I notice that my arrival causes her to go into contortions to avoid any possibility of smoke drifting my way.

So I say: "You don't have to turn your head. Smoke doesn't bother me."

Says she: "I have to turn my head. It's what I'm used to doing."

And proceeds to turn her head again to exhale.

Rather than cause her to suffer a painful crick in the neck, I remove myself from the premises.

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Is there any place a person can smoke in peace without the threat of ‘our’ Government interfering under the presumption of ‘For the People, By the People’! Here’s food for thought eastcoastdweller, how about all that second hand perfume - cologne. Surely that is a potential health threat! I for one do not like being in restaurants - whence I begin to drink my coffee, only for the aroma from the next five tables over - aviance to be floating in my cup of steam. Nonetheless, the stench is there, it is every where! Bathed scented chemicals taking the breath away of innocent bystanders!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Adena, I'm not quite understanding you. (o;

Did you mean that, because you felt the statement such as I gave to the lady was polite, you in that situation would have made an extra effort NOT to let smoke blow my way?

In other words, she should presume that I actually hated the aroma of secondhand smoke but that I would tell a white lie in order to make her feel more comfortable?

Eastcoastdweller said...

Nom de plume, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I enjoy secondhand perfume most of the time, but some folks go overboard. And male cologne -- gag!

I'd much, much rather inhale a breath of sweet secondhand hand smoke, especially from a quality feminine cigarette like Virginia Slims or Misty, than the sweaty stench of some hygiene-challenged lowlife, or an overdose of Polo emanating from some lounge lizard wannabee.

Eastcoastdweller said...

But the fact is, I actually don't mind secondhand smoke, unless it's from really awful, cheap cigarettes and/or spewed from the lips of some ghastly, unpleasant person.

So it seems that my effort to politely suggest my lack of annoyance would result in your politely not exhaling my way.

Whereas if I was an ass and forbade you to smoke around me, -- especially asinine and rude of me since you were there first in this hypothetical situation -- you'd do exactly what I hoped for in the first place -- exhale it right at me.

What a cold, cruel world.