Thursday, December 6, 2007

Worthy causes

Perhaps some people have pockets stuffed with cash, legally earned one would hope, and can give it away until their arms get tired, to anyone who asks. The rest of us have to be more judicious. That poses a problem, since there are so many good causes: eliminating AIDS, about which Chase March recently blogged; muscular dystrophy, diabetes, wounded veterans, disaster relief, the Special Olympics, homeless shelters, Girl Scouts ...

But you know something? What looks like a problem is in one way a wonderful, wonderful sign. All these organizations have at their heart people doing good. In other words, millions of people are doing good in the world. Doing good -- a topic that LayDdee blogs on, one of my favorite subjects on Her blog.

I have just learned about another great idea. It's called donorschoose.org. Teachers in need of supplies for their classes can submit a wish list to this website and donors can then peruse this list and pay for an item.

I will soon post a permanent link on Isis for this site. After all, without education, where would any of us be today?

6 comments:

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Hi eastcoastdweller! Thanks for sharing this worthy cause with your Readers. I wonder if they would mind - in addition to the permanent link on your Blog, I also added them to my Humanitarian Causes(HCU4H) site?

Chase March said...

I know that some schools and classrooms have very little educational products. I know that there are some things that I need in the classroom so that I can reach my students. Students need hands-on manipulatives and other products to help them learn. Fortunately enough, I have most of everything I need to be an effective teacher. There are things I want but I get by with what I have just fine. Still though, this list sounds like an interesting idea.

LayDdee said...

WOW - what an excellent idea!!! I love this post and not because you mentioned me. You know how much I love the idea of people giving back - celebs or not. This is awesome and I'm excited about it. Thanks so much for the mention. So sweet!!!

Leslie Hawes said...

I have always felt that this is how we should handle paying our taxes. Taxpayerchoose.
Pick an area of the government we wanted to fund, and only allow our tax dollars to go to those areas.
I want to fund libraries, and national forests.

Diane Dehler said...

I like this idea. Some public libraries have posted wish lists on amazon.com if you can believe it. I am all for direct giving.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Leslie: It's a great idea but how would we track the folks who didn't pay taxes for boring necessities like highways -- and keep them away from undeservedly using those resources?