Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Your happy place

"Show not a Phoenician the desert, nor a Bedouin the sea, for their ways are different."

So goes an ancient proverb, contrasting a people who thrived in the perils of the sea with a people who thrived in the perils of the desert.

My lunchtime commute was graced with an old song by Little River Band, kind of a boring melody but the words are poignant. The singer longs to be alone again, sailing on "the bright, clear water."

Me, sailing alone on the bright, clear water -- I'd be freaked out, wondering what beasts lurked beneath me in the blue waiting for my craft to capsize.

To some men (and women), happiness is clinging to the side of some lofty mountain, with only a petard to prevent their grisly death. Others thrive in the throng of a busy city, weaving their way through homicidal traffic.

One man's pleasure is another man's terror.

3 comments:

Lance Abel said...

Hahah.
Reminds me of happy gilmore.!

Chase March said...

I think everyone needs some time alone. I know that I need to lock myself away from time to time just to listen to music or write. It is something I need.

For me, I can be alone behind a closed door even if there are lots of people on the other side. Some people might need the calm and tranquility of the sea to get the same thing I get behind a closed door. To each his own.

And quite frankly, I would not want to be alone on the clear water. I'm a land-lover through and through.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Happy Gilmore appears to be yet another movie that I missed seeing.