Wednesday, May 2, 2007

She has her own life

Every so often, I hear that lovely oldie by Stevie Nicks, "Leather and Lace."

Great piece of music and poignant lyrics.

She says: "I have my own life and I am stronger than you know."

Every time I hear that, I silently thank her for that reminder. I need to be reminded.

How often, in our natural selfishness and even in the throes of love, a man forgets that very important truth about a woman. She's not just shapely meat or even just his loving companion. She has her own life. She had a life before she met him. She's entitled to a life of her own -- independent thoughts, independent dreams -- even as she walks beside him in love.

2 comments:

Lance Abel said...

Certainly a great message.
The fact that the message needs to be told in the first place demonstrates that there is something seriously wrong.

Chase March said...

I had a relationship end, painfully, because we both had our own lives. We were both stubbornly strong and never learned how to live with each other. So that Stevie Nicks quote means something entirely else to me.

The only thing I know is that love requires a lot of sacrifice. And I believe that it can only work if both partners give so much of themselves and give up their "own life" in the process and form one united life.