Friday, May 18, 2007

Afghanistan

Across this big blue globe of ours, more than 200 countries exist, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe. Within many of these countries are also found smaller, but important subgroups, from the Pamunkey Indians of Virginia to the Kurds of Iraq.

Each of these countries, and the subgroups within, have a unique culture -- their own cuisine, music, language, and often, religion or world outlook.

Every intelligent human being should find this deeply fascinating and should long to experience as much of it as is practicably possible in his or her life.

I have been blessed to live in Hungary and England for a few years, as well as a handful of US states, and to visit briefly Canada and Panama. I hope to see more of the world before I die.

Many years ago, I started collecting articles and news clippings about each of the aforementioned countries of the world, with a dream of studying each one, alphabetically, a month at a time. My plan was to learn a few words in the predominate language, make a traditional dinner, learn the basic facts and make a native friend. I have not kept up with this project, have started and faltered each time.

Perhaps this blog can be a way of injecting new life into this scheme.

So I declare May 2007 my new starting point. I will study Afghanistan, the first country in the world at least according to the English alphabet. I will share what I learn with you and I hope that you will chime in and assist me.

I've begun by browsing waheed's blog, http://afghanwarrior.blogspot.com/. This is not some Westerner's viewpoint on Afghanistan. He's a native, sharing his own thoughts about life in that country.

More to come later ...

2 comments:

Lance Abel said...

a nice project...
I might add that to the to do list...
a little less ignorance for all! :)

Eastcoastdweller said...

It is a mammoth project to tackle. I have failed at it for nearly ten years.