Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Thoughts about worship

Suppose I answered a knock on my door one day.

Upon opening it, I beheld: A) A kindly-looking bearded gentleman, a sort of grampa with a glow. B) A terrifying creature with multiple heads, dripping blood from its mouths and roaring like the bonfires of hell. Or C) Absolutely nothing at all.

I now heard a voice: "Worship me!"

And I answered, "Why?"

And the voice said either: A) Because the [insert Holy Book here] tells you to, B) I will blast your crops and bring the world to a horrific end, or C) You figure it out.

I waited, puzzled. "I am all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving," the voice said. "I created you."

"My neighbors have talked about you," I answer. "Some see little evidence of your power, your knowledge or your love. And my parents created me, or so they say, yet they don't demand worship. And what of this eternal punishment scheme? What kind of parent does that to a child?"

The grandfather figure says that people should have more faith. The monster god flies into a rage, proclaiming his power and sending other people to slay me. (How ironic). The invisible prime mover says nothing.

4 comments:

Lance Abel said...

Is the 'knock' on the door some sort of metaphor for a spiritual calling?

I mean, suppose there was no God. Then there'd be no knock on the door. Perhaps it's not so much an invisible prime mover, as there being nothing at all. No knock.

Eastcoastdweller said...

No, the knock wasn't anything so symbolic as that. I'm just trying to visualize how a new god in the neighborhood would set up his worshop apparatus.

Looking at the reasons people have offered through the ages as to why a Being should be worshipped.

m377y said...

Thanks for leaving comments on my blog.

Was great of you to remind me of what Goodbye was indicative of. Lol. Had a bit of a chuckle when I read that and memory kicked in.

Continue reading and I like what you're doing here.
-grin

Eastcoastdweller said...

"Worship" apparatus, not worshop. I told you that the demon of typo karma was after me -- and apparently one cannot correct a comment to a post.