Saturday, September 8, 2007

Leaving your comfort zone

Today I rented a rug doctor machine to clean up the sooty spots on the carpet from the vacuum cleaner disaster of a week or so ago.

I've never rented a rug doctor before. It was a bit of a challenge, the whole process of renting it, figuring out how it worked, etc. Got me thinking about other challenging "first times" in my life, such as the first time I ever drove a car through an automatic car wash.

I picked an evil place for said challenge -- a facility that required the driver to angle his left front tire up a ramp that was about three inches wide. If you missed, you'd run over pipes or something and make a mess.

So there I was, in that dark, steamy hell, trying desperately to put my tire in the right place, using ugly words that would have earned me a mouthful of soap if my Mother had been present ...

...It was a disaster and I never went back there again.

12 comments:

Chase March said...

That reminds me of those oil change pitstops. I was really nervous the first time I pulled into one of those.

Although, I have never heard of a car wash like that. The ones I have always used are so user friendly. Showing your age are you ECD?

Eastcoastdweller said...

Chase: It was only about ten years ago!!!!!!!

Eastcoastdweller said...

My next challenge will be going through one of those self-checkout lines in the grocery store.

Alexis said...

Haha, it took my mom and step dad like ten minutes to figure out how to work the self-checkout line. I thought it was hilarious, I guess because my dad and I have always used them so to me it didn't seem like a big deal. But yeah, good luck with that.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Alexis: Thanks for the well-wishes!

I should add that this year's techno-triumphs for me also include learning how to use a flash-drive -- and of course, creating a blog.

Lance Abel said...

Heh I used a couple dirty words tonight. For a flat tire. FUCK FUCK FUCKETY FUCK

Open Grove Claudia said...

You are very brave. I need to rent one but have been too intimidated. Call me chicken....

Eastcoastdweller said...

Claudia: Go for it -- it's actually a breeze. You just pay about $16 for a stupid bottle of their monopoly rug doctor product added to the $20 for the machine, mix it with hot water in a bucket, pour it into a tank at the bottom of the machine, then drag it across your carpet.

Lance: Did your incantation help?

Lance Abel said...

I find a good outburst of the f word works everytime.
In any case, trying not to show your anger or suppressing it usually leads to it being directed towards innocent others anyway. it's good to swear loud and repeatedly.

Chase March said...

I am still avoiding the self-serve check out lanes.

And ECD, I hope you know that I just joking about your age. I don't know why but I picture you as being older than me.

StayAtHomeKat said...

I BOUGHT a rug shampooer 2 years ago and I have yet to use it....shame on me...I need to, what with living with a dog and in the red clay state of Ga...
I joke that all I need do is throw some seeds on my carpet and if I spill some H20 on them they will sprout!

Anonymous said...

Women have a clear unfair advantage in situations like that.(carwash) I am terrified of the car inspection emmissions test, with the tires on the rollers, and the maintained speed, in place, of 35 MPH. I just tell the guy I'm terified, and he cheerfully does the manly thing for me. It must be very intimidating to have to be the manly one when you don't want to be. I have tremendous sympathy.