Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sports fan-nettes

Guys who think that "Women don't dig sports," really need to get out more.

Some of my Female colleagues here at work -- Grandmothers some of them -- know the latest football stats as well as any of the guys.

As for me, I am a guy who really doesn't care much about sports. I blame it on the childhood trauma of being small for my grade level, and quite uncoordinated, and never very good at suppressing the natural instinct to avoid a small, hard object heading my direction at a dangerous speed.

I also fail to see the attraction, as a man, of ogling beefy, sweaty, grown men playing children's games on some field or court while inebriated know-it-alls scream commands and/or curses at them from the stands. I am not attracted to guys and I really am not interested in watching them do much of anything, especially when, as noted above, they are dripping sweat and fighting over a ball.

But I have been going with my Beloved and Her sports fanatic father to a few basketball games this year, especially as "our" team seems headed for some high level glory.

Which brings me to this fascinating conundrum:

She wants to go to the game tonight. I am tired. I do not wish to go.

She certainly has every right to go without me. I am happy that She is having such fun.

It is just that in fourteen years of marriage, this has never happened before.

6 comments:

Chase March said...

Take one for the team and go with her. I'm sure she wants you to come. Maybe you can just take a nice relaxing evening off tomorrow to compensate for being tired today.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I don't see that occasionally spending time apart is necessary bad. I think that it is good if each partner has areas of different interests where they feel comfortable doing alone. On the other hand, as Chase suggests, this may be an area that she enjoys sharing with you; which is a different proposition. Even so, you are allowed to have less than perfect attendance......just don't make it a habit!

Cristina said...

So, what happened in the end?

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I consider it one of my greatest blessings that my husband is not a sports fanatic.

If your presence at the game means a lot to her, you should probably go. But if she would be just as happy in that element with her dad, you are certainly entitled to skip it.

Surely she knows by now that you are not particularly interested, and will cut you some slack. Women have been opting out of such events forever.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Thank you all for your advice. I tried Chase's approach but She pushed back and gave me the break that I needed.

We're all going tonight to the big game in Richmond.

StayAtHomeKat said...

Have a Great Time!

who won, who played :->