Friday, December 16, 2011

Australia to create marine reserve

"When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you understand now why you came this way ..." -- Crosby, Stills and Nash So much of the world I have not seen ... the vast Eurasian steppes; sun-baked Africa; ancient Asia ... and the islands of the Southern Hemisphere. I read today that Australia is proposing to designate nearly 400,000 square miles in the Coral Sea as a marine reserve. Splendid! I may never see it myself but I am happy to know it will be there, a place free of exploitation, full of beauty. Just one more thing to love about the Land Down Under.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

'Cause the truth you might be runnin' from
Is so small.
But it's as big as the promise
The promise of a comin' day

One of my all-time favorite songs. Funny how many of my favorites have to do with searching, sailing, flying, running.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Rebecca, You obviously daydream about escaping the limitations of mortality and gravity -- soaring high, riding the wind. Beautiful.

I watched a program about space the other day - it always fires my neurons to contemplate the vastness of our universe and to imagine being able to hitch a ride on a photon from one side to the other.