Friday, January 15, 2010

Dealing with it for the first time

Up until now, I have led the wandering life. When older relatives passed away, I was either too young or too far away to be greatly affected. When two of my siblings lost children in infancy, again, though older this time, I was too far away, out of the regular loop, to do much or to feel much – I never laid eyes on that nephew or that Niece.

Today, my Wife called me at work to tell me that Her Grandmother’s kidneys are failing, on top of the congestive heart failure that She is already experiencing. She’s in the hospital, going down.

We all know what is coming. And for the first time, death is calling on someone I know well and love well. And I will be right here in the middle of it all. And I don’t quite know what to do other than to be a shoulder to cry on.

4 comments:

BraveHeart said...

in the sorrow of loosing someone close for some reason we always gain greater insight and wisdom, at least I did.
It is difficult.
take care

Misfit in Paradise said...

The best thing you can do is listen. It's such a comfort.

molly said...

We went through this with my mother in law this time last year. All you have to do is be there and care.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Thank you all for your comforting words. Namie, I am sorry but I do not understand Chinese.