Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Rain

We got rain tonight, thank God.

Not much, not long but RAIN!

By the weak light of the quarter moon, I see droplets on the leaves of the baby pecan trees. The withered sycamore sapling put out fresh leaves this week in response to my patient watering-by-bucket -- and those leaves are now damp and glistening, a reward for that expenditure of precious energy.

Perhaps the rain will save the struggling pumpkin vine whose leaves were limp and feeble today, and encourage the hard, green tomatoes to finally blush red.

Life goes on here in wet years or dry years, life will go on, the creatures and the plants that have lived here for millions of years.

6 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

We desperately need rain too -it's been over a month and not a drop - everything is brown and limp even in the cool protected woods...

Alexis said...

Glad you're enjoying some rain. It's the last thing we need here. Half of the crops in this area were wiped out because of flooding, so the corn stalks that are usually taller than me by this time of year are just now creeping up out of the soil.

But more importantly, I'd like the rain to hold off because I don't want to figure out how to use the windshield wipers on the driver's ed car - the last thing I need is something else to think about while I'm driving...

Chase March said...

Rain is a blessing at times, or a curse at others. We got hammered with thunderstorms this week. It actually hailed too and destroyed the tomato plants in my mom's backyard. It toppled trees and left some without power.

A normal and nice light rain feels great at times but can still ruin a picnic. Strange thing rain is.

Dawn said...

Had I but known you needed it I would've sent all that I got your way!!

It was raining for weeks here - it would be nice while I was at work with torrential downpours as soon as I got home.

I'm sorry I have been missing in action my friend, but as you probably read, I've been traveling a *lot* this summer with the dogs!

I loved your comments tho' so thank you for swinging by again!

Anonymous said...

We're still behind, but have been getting frequent brief rains, so I'm thankful.

Eastcoastdweller said...

If there is a constant in nature, it is that nature is inconstant. She will drown a region one year, parch it the next.

Thank you all for your comments!