Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Stream of thought tonight

Too long away from Isis ... busy with back to school ... garden is nearly done but I still find sweet figs every morning ... so addictive.

My cousin-in-law has quit smoking. Good for Her.

Watched Andrew Zimmerman (Bizzare Foods) tonight. I would so love to be that guy. Imagine geting paid to travel the world and eat strange food. I'm game for that -- everything except the bull's testicles he seems to hanker for. I have a philosophical objection to consumption of male genitalia.

In reading, I have now entered the realm of the Early Christian Fathers, so-called, with 1st Clement.

Here's a thought from the late Solzhenitsyn:

"If humanism were right in declaring that man is born to be happy, he would not be born to die. Since his body is doomed to die, his task on Earth evidently must be of a more spiritual nature. It cannot be unrestrained enjoyment of everyday life. It cannot be the search for the best ways to obtain material goods and then cheerfully get the most out of them. It has to be the fulfillment of a permanent, earnest duty so that one's life journey may become an experience of moral growth, so that one may leave life a better human being than one started it."

5 comments:

BraveHeart said...

About the testicles.. my friend ate, what she describes as a pinkish pale looking meat, which she loved, it was so good. She was like mmmm goood. She didn't know what was it, it was at greek family gathering they were invited to. They were laughing before they told her. Apparently it is a good meal.

The thoughts you are sharing with us are motivating.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Ela: If I were offered fried crickets, or snails, or Filipino balut, or bird's nest soup, I would have no problem with it.

I have eaten and enjoyed many odd dishes in my life, from blood sausage to pork brain to roast reindeer -- but regardless of how good it may taste, I'll draw the line at bull privates. Bleech.

BraveHeart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BraveHeart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janice Thomson said...

I think the man is right. We humans tend to go to extremes in everything we do; we're either too happy to the point of ridiculousness or too sad to the point of affecting our health.
True contentment is a state of ease no matter what the circumstance - it is just 'being' without any labels.
So sayeth Janice :)